The San Francisco Democratic County Central Committee is the elected governing body of San Francisco’s Democratic Party. Members of the SFDCCC are elected by registered Democratic voters in the June Primary Election every two years. The next election is June 5, 2012.
With more than 250,000 members, San Francisco Democrats represent one of the most vibrant and influential party organizations in California. The SFDCCC has a permanent office in San Francisco's Financial District, a full-time staff, and hundreds of active volunteers.
According to the San Francisco Democratic Party’s web site, the DCCC advances its goals through several ongoing programs:
- VOTER REGISTRATION. Throughout the year, the San Francisco Democratic Party works hard to register Democrats throughout the city and county. Thanks to our efforts in 2008 we were able to register over 8,000 new Democrats!
- VOTER OUTREACH. Our grassroots volunteers and activists reach out to voters, providing information on endorsed candidates and motivating Democratic supporters to vote.
- ENDORSEMENTS. The San Francisco Democratic Party makes endorsements for each election to inform Democratic voters about the candidates and ballot measures we consider most worthy of support.
- CHARTERED DEMOCRATIC CLUBS. A major component of San Francisco's grassroots organizing are Chartered Democratic clubs and organizations. There are currently over thirty Democratic clubs and organizations active in San Francisco.
- FUNDRAISING & INFRASTRUCTURE. The resources to accomplish our goals come from our local supporters in San Francisco. We raise funds to support our annual voter registration efforts and voter outreach efforts and to ensure that we have the resources necessary to elect Democrats at the local, state and national level.
About the 17th Assembly District
Democratic County Central Committee members are elected from their respective Assembly Districts in San Francisco. And with redistricting in California, Assembly Districts have now changed. What was previously the 13th Assembly District (represented by Assemblymember Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco) is now the 17th Assembly District. Representing the eastern side of San Francisco, it has strong progressive traditions and has long been a bastion of diversity.